Module 2: Allergies and the Primary Care Practice
After completion of this online CME module, participants should be able to:
- Introduce the concept of allergy
- Review the immune response
- Discuss common physical manifestations of allergic disease
- Answer: is this allergy?
- Describe the role of patient history, allergy testing and examination in management of a patient presenting with symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- Discuss the classifications of allergic rhinitis.
- Understand pharmaceutical therapy for symptomatic treatment of allergic rhinitis.
- Know the allergen immunotherapy options.
- Explain the benefits of subcutaneous immunotherapy.
- Recognize a variety of skin testing techniques and how to perform them.
- Know the difference between a positive and negative IgE mediated skin test and how to interpret the results.
- Know which ingestants, inhalants and contactants are IgE mediated and will benefit from skin testing.