Health Literacy: What do you Mean by Understand?
NOTE: When you are ready to begin the CME activity, please log in/register below and click on "Take Course." The powerpoint presentation and reference document at the bottom of the page can be saved to your computer and/or printed.
Estimated time to complete the module is one hour.
To promote an understanding of health literacy skills and strategies among health care providers in helping patients make informed decisions for better clinical outcomes.
This educational activity is presented in an online, narrated, slide presentation format. The program can be completed at your convenience.
Required Course Steps
2. Video (37 minutes)
3. Health Literacy Report Brief 2004 (review)
5. Program Evaluation
Estimated time to complete is 50 minutes.
You will be able to download a CME Course certificate after successfully completing the post-test with a passing score (70%).
Original Release Date: July 15, 2016
Termination Date: July 15, 2018
Reviewed: October 15, 2018
Termination Date: July 15, 2019
LMU clinical faculty - $15 (applied at the cart level)
LMU-DCOM alumni - $15 (applied at cart level)
Residents - $15 (applied at the cart level)
LMU clinical faculty (preceptors) and other clinical teachers in the health professions interested in learning health literacy skills and strategies to improve patient care.
Upon completion of the educational activity, the participant will be able to:
1. Define and understand health literacy.
2. Identify patients with low health literacy.
3. Describe the skills patients need for health literacy.
4. Integrate health literacy skills into patient encounters.
5. Analyze the impact of low health literacy on quality of care.
6. Create ways to enhance patient compliance/adherence.
Jan Zieren, DO, MPH, FACOFP dist
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Click here for LMUDCOM's policy on privacy and confidentiality.
There are no financial relationships to disclose.
Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Council on Continuing Medical Education (CCME) to present programs that qualify for AOA-CME Category 1 credit. Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) and the AOA Council on Continuing Medical Education (CCME) approve this educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 hour of AOA Category 1-B CME credit.
Physicians should claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in this activity.
CME for this activity will automatically be submitted to the appropriate accrediting body.
A Certificate of Completion is provided after the completion of required activities for non-physicians and other health care professionals who want to self-claim Continuing Education (CE) credit.
- 1.00 AOA CME Credit
- 1.00 Attendance
To complete this activity, users will need:
• A device with an Internet connection
• One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari (Internet Explorer is no longer supported)
• Adobe Flash Player and/or an HTML5 capable browser for video or audio playback
• Adobe Reader or other PDF reader software for certificate viewing/printing