CME Clinical Teaching Orientation: an Introduction to Effective Teaching on Rotations
Estimated time to complete all seven modules is 50 minutes.
To provide a LMU-DCOM Framework of Best Practices in clinical teaching for clinical adjunct faculty (preceptors).
This educational activity is presented in seven modules in an online, slide presentation format with a brief one-time, introductory video. The program can be completed at your convenience.
You will be able to download a CME Clinical Teaching Orientation Course certificate after successfully completing the post-test with a passing score (70%).
Release Date: August 3, 2018
Expiration Date: December 31, 2019
1. Introduction to Effective Teaching on Rotations
2. Osteopathic Manual Medicine Introduction and Techniques
3. Preparing the Learning Environment
4. Listening and Giving Feedback
5. Time Management and Office Interaction
6. Dealing with the Difficult Learner
7. Assessment and Evaluation
Click here for (Optional) Six-minute video introduction to modules
LMU-DCOM Clinical Adjunct Faculty (preceptors) at rotation sites and other health care professionals interested in clinical teaching.
Upon completion of the seven-module educational activity, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize key characteristics of effective preceptors
- Recognize the importance of clinical teaching to the profession.
- Understand institutional and learning expectations of clinical teaching.
- Understand introductory osteopathic manual medicine and pharmacologic management parallels.
- Promote student learning through effective feedback, assessment and evaluation.
- Understand the application of constructive clinical teaching strategies in a busy practice.
Ava Stanczak, DO, FACOP, CS
Assistant Professor and Chair of Pediatrics
Douglas Weston, DO
Assitant Professor and Chair of OMM
Patricia Stubenberg, MPH, PhD, CHCP
Director of CME and Preceptor Development
Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Council on Continuing Medical Education (CCME) to present programs that qualify for AOA-CME Category 1 credit. Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) and the AOA Council on Continuing Medical Education (CCME) approve this educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 hour of AOA Category 1-B CME credit.
The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and the Maine Medical Association’s Committee on Continuing Medical Education and Accreditation to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
UNECOM designates this online CME activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
Physicians should claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in this activity.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the AOA Standards of Accreditation and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Essential Areas and Policies through the joint sponsorship of University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine and Lincoln Memorial University – DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine. UNECOM is accredited by the Maine Medical Association Committee on Continuing Medical Education and Accreditation to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CME for this activity will automatically be submitted to the appropriate accrediting body.
A Certificate of Completion is provided after the completion of required activities for non-physicians and other health care professionals who want to self-claim Continuing Education (CE) credit.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM
- 1.00 AOA CME Credit
- 1.00 Attendance
To complete this activity, users will need:
- A device with an Internet connection
- One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari (Internet Explorer is no longer supported)
- Adobe Flash Player and/or an HTML5 capable browser for video or audio playback
- Adobe Reader or other PDF reader software for certificate viewing/printing